Mimic - on custom hardware

I’m new to this topic TTS and I wanted to understand whether I can use it on my custom hardware that runs on YOCTO linux on ARM Cortex A7. If so how would I build (compile) and use it.
I currently use alsa library for my audio/noise cancellation. Is there any other additional libraries required.

Mimic (v1) can be compiled on most anything with the correct libraries. https://github.com/MycroftAI/mimic Clone that repo and compile if you want, or just run the dev_setup and ensure it builds as part of that process. Basic instructions on usage at that link as well.

I tried to run “dev_setup” it gives the below error

"Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
ImportError: No module named ‘encodings’

Current thread 0x00007f8ede777700 (most recent call first):
Aborted (core dumped)"

Also I tried to compile the repo

“checking whether we are cross compiling… configure: error: in /home/u16p4/TTS/mimic-dev': configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs. If you meant to cross compile, use–host’.
See `config.log’ for more details”

What is the “host” name I need to pass, if I’m cross-compiling for ARCH=armv7-a, and using “arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc”

I wanted to build it as static library and use it on my demo C++ application code.

I tried to run “dev_setup” it gives the below error

"Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
ImportError: No module named ‘encodings’

Current thread 0x00007f8ede777700 (most recent call first):
Aborted (core dumped)"

Also I tried to compile the repo

“checking whether we are cross compiling… configure: error: in /home/u16p4/TTS/mimic-dev': configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs. If you meant to cross compile, use –host’.
See `config.log’ for more details”

What is the “host” name I need to pass, if I’m cross-compiling for ARCH=armv7-a, and using “arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc”

I wanted to build it as static library and use it on my demo C++ application code.

Are you cross-compiling?

The only helpful thing I can suggest here is to have a look at our Mimic documentation;

1 Like

YES. I’m using ubuntu linux virtual box and my hardware board runs on YOCTO linux on ARM Cortex A7 core.

Have you successfully cross compilied something for your arm board yet?

YES, I tried compiling Flite without any issues

Then I’d run the dev_setup.sh with the -sm (skip mimic) option and build it separately.