Missing device settings like ssh public key?

Thanks for the reply.

Not off to a great start I’m afraid. Downloaded the recommended image (recommended_mark_2.img.xz) and wrote it to an external SSD - the system hung at a systemd startup script.

Next I tried writing the image to the original Dinkum drive and performance was somehow worse, it takes about 10 minutes to boot and takes about 15-20 seconds to respond to “hey neon”

So, I guess the quality of the flash drive is critical. Is there any way I can make this thing work with an SSD?

1 Like

You’re absolutely right, the drive quality is a critical factor. SSDs are the best way to go. If you’ve got one, just write the image and plug it in like a USB, then plug in power. If you don’t have one hit me up for a coupon, or buy one anywhere you like. It doesn’t take a high-end SSD to get excellent performance.

1 Like

I’ve managed to get an SSD that works with it - an older Kingston 120GB SSD. I guess the first SSD I tried the Mar-II didn’t like the enclosure.

Anyway, performance on this thing is still pretty bad. I’ve recorded a quick video to demonstrate some of the issues. While I was running the test load average peaked at about 9, which on a quad core CPU is not good.

In the video you can see where the performance gets so bad Neon starts to miss words - this is the most problematic part as it means I need to repeat myself sometimes 3 or 4 times.

Is the kind of performance I’m seeing in the video typical?

I gave up in the video, but Home Assistant did finally open about 5 minutes later.

1 Like

Thank you, video was very helpful! I’ve made a quick one in return, with near-zero production value, but perhaps significant utility. :wink:

A couple things -
First, except for when you are a responding to a query from Neon, you don’t need to wait for the “boop” sound to start talking.
Our most recently released stable version (and of course the current alphas) include a looped listening function, which has Neon go back into memory after recognizing the wakeword, and retrieve the audio that followed the wakeword. I’m at a loss of how to make that apparent to users, suggestions welcome. I’ll certainly explain it in our upcoming user newsletter & posts.

Second, that’s not terrible speed, but it can do better with either a faster SSD or upgrading the Raspberry Pi from 2GB to 4 or even 8. We’re also continuing to make speed improvements on the code side.
It will occasionally miss words or call a skill incorrectly, but not so frequently. I’m not sure what is going on with that. If you’d like to have your machine “create a troubleshooting package” and send it over to me with a quick note so that I know it’s from you, we can take a look at what’s been going on inside.

Here’s my quick and very much not for official publication for obvious reasons video:

I did the same 3 queries, with a “good” but not high-end USB, using our stable version & then our most recent alpha.
If anyone else would like to make some good videos for us (tripod, no unwanted reflections, etc :person_facepalming:), please do message me. We’d be happy to facilitate that.

1 Like