Mycroft skill for nmap scan

I wrote a simple skill for Mycroft that will scan targets using nmap

Usage: scan TARGET IP

e.g scan 127.0.1.1

Currently only simple scan on TCP is available, if you have suggestion or want to contribute feel free to drop a PR or open an issue

Skill repo: https://github.com/Nhoya/skill-nmap

Did a Skill Test for you:

nmap scan test by Kathy Reid March 22 0108hrs AEDT

• Platform: Mark 1
  • Device version: 18.2.2b
  • Language and dialect of tester: English native speaker, Australian accent

Skill installation

• Installed on Mark 1 using msm install https://github.com/Nhoya/skill-nmap
  • Skill installed successfully TEST PASSED

Steps to test the Skill

• Speak hey mycroft, scan 168.192.0.1 -> I'm sorry, I don't understand
  • Speak hey mycroft, scan 168.192.0.1 -> Now scanning 168.102.0.1 with N M A P skill -> An error occurred while processing a request in N M A P skill

Tried again

• Speak hey mycroft, scan 168.192.0.5 -> I'm sorry I don't understand
  • Speak hey mycroft, scan 168.192.0.5 -> I'm sorry I don't understand

Tried again

• Speak hey mycroft, scan 168.192.0.12 -> I'm sorry I don't understand
  • Speak hey mycroft, scan 168.192.0.12 -> I don't know what that means

Did a grep of mycroft-skills.log, grepping for nmap, pasted below.

Best, Kathy

pi@mark_1:/var/log $ cat mycroft-skills.log | grep -i nmap
14:04:49.888 - SKILLS - DEBUG - {"type": "msm.install.succeeded", "data": {"skill": "skill-nmap"}, "context": null}
14:04:59.311 - mycroft.skills.core:load_skill:106 - INFO - ATTEMPTING TO LOAD SKILL: skill-nmap with ID 1767657979
14:04:59.323 - mycroft.skills.core:init_dialog:838 - DEBUG - No dialog loaded, /opt/mycroft/skills/skill-nmap/dialog/en-us does not exist
14:04:59.332 - mycroft.skills.core:load_skill:124 - INFO - Loaded skill-nmap
14:04:59.338 - mycroft.skills.core:load_skill:129 - INFO - First run of skill-nmap
14:04:59.391 - SKILLS - DEBUG - {"type": "mycroft.skills.loaded", "data": {"folder": "skill-nmap", "id": 1767657979, "name": "NmapSkill", "modified": 1521641074.0372655}, "context": null}
14:12:27.435 - SKILLS - DEBUG - {"type": "mycroft.skill.handler.start", "data": {"name": "NmapSkill.handle_scan_intent"}, "context": null}
14:12:27.772 - SKILLS - DEBUG - {"type": "speak", "data": {"expect_response": false, "utterance": "An error occurred while processing a request in Nmap Skill"}, "context": {"client_name": "mycroft_listener", "ident": "1521641540.011881538090", "target": null}}
14:12:27.776 - mycroft.skills.core:wrapper:607 - ERROR - An error occurred while processing a request in Nmap Skill
  File "/opt/mycroft/skills/skill-nmap/__init__.py", line 19, in handle_scan_intent
    nm=nmap.PortScanner()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nmap/nmap.py", line 131, in __init__
PortScannerError: 'nmap program was not found in path. PATH is : /usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games'
14:12:27.787 - SKILLS - DEBUG - {"type": "mycroft.skill.handler.complete", "data": {"exception": "", "name": "NmapSkill.handle_scan_intent"}, "context": null}

Hi Kathy and thanks for the accurate review,
The problem is caused by a missing dependency that is python-nmap.
It is listed in requirements.txt but for some reason it is not installed in your system, you can solve this issue installing python-nmap with pip

So, I’d rather track down why python-nmap is not installing rather than manually install it - otherwise others will have similar issues.

Hey @w00t,

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nmap/nmap.py", line 131, in __init__
PortScannerError: 'nmap program was not found in path. PATH is : /usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games'

It looks like the python library (python-nmap) was installed (the exception comes from /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nmap/nmap.py), but that that library depends on having nmap installed on the system. You can use a requirements.sh script to install that (see https://mycroft.ai/documentation/skills/skill-submission/#msm-compliance)

-Chris

@KathyReid, if you want to test my theory that it’s not that the python library wasn’t installed, and instead that the system package is missing, you could try running sudo apt-get install nmap, and testing the skill again.

Hi @Christopher_Rogers, you are right, this is not said clearly on the library page but looking at the Debian Package we can see that nmap is needed, i added nmap installation in this commit

So, I’ve tried multiple times now to install this Skill, and each attempt has failed with msm error 122 - Running requirements.sh failed.

I did a bit of digging to see why requirements.sh failed and couldn’t figure it out - I tried both msm install https://github.com/Nhoya/skill-nmap.git and sudo msm install https://github.com/Nhoya/skill-nmap.git but both throw msm error 122.

So I took a look at requirements.sh. Using the bash script, the command that it tries to run is
pi@mark_1:~ $ sudo apt install nmap
If I run this manually, it asks to confirm. I don’t want to run it, because then the msm install will work, but we won’t find out why requirements.sh doesn’t work.

So next I manually tried to execute requirements.sh. I couldn’t do this at all, with permission denied errors. I tried to do sudo su mycroft, and tried again. Still no good. Then I dook a look at the filesystem permissions:

pi@mark_1:/opt/mycroft/skills/skill-nmap $ ls -las
total 48
4 drwxr-xr-x  5 mycroft mycroft 4096 Mar 22 12:30 .
4 drwxrwxrwx 42 mycroft mycroft 4096 Mar 22 12:30 ..
4 drwxr-xr-x  8 mycroft mycroft 4096 Mar 22 12:30 .git
4 -rw-r--r--  1 mycroft mycroft 1143 Mar 22 12:30 __init__.py
4 -rw-r--r--  1 mycroft mycroft 1870 Mar 22 12:30 __init__.pyc
4 -rw-r--r--  1 mycroft mycroft 1057 Mar 22 12:30 LICENSE
4 -rw-r--r--  1 mycroft mycroft   67 Mar 22 12:30 README.md
4 drwxr-xr-x  3 mycroft mycroft 4096 Mar 22 12:30 regex
4 -rw-r--r--  1 mycroft mycroft  665 Mar 22 12:30 requirements.sh
4 -rw-r--r--  1 mycroft mycroft   12 Mar 22 12:30 requirements.txt
4 -rw-r--r--  1 mycroft mycroft   35 Mar 22 12:30 settings.json
4 drwxr-xr-x  3 mycroft mycroft 4096 Mar 22 12:30 vocab

The requirements.sh file is set to 644 - it’s not executable. So I changed it to 744, which added the executable flag, but I still couldn’t get it to execute manually.

I’m going to ping King @forslund here in case he has any ideas.

TL;DR - I think this is a permissions issue and that’s why requirements.sh is not executing.

Yea, I think I have the solution, in requirements.sh i’m missing #!/bin/bash since I usually run calling it with the interpreter (bash requirements.sh) Calling bash inside requirements.sh should fix the issue

I fixed the issue

Also the mycroft user hasn’t got privileges to run apt directly on the mycroft (and I assume picroft but haven’t checked)

Instead, on these platforms pkcon (which can be limited by policykit) can be used to install packages.

Still failing for me. msm error 122.

So we need a way to detect which platform has pkcon, any suggestion?

We’ve been using the following code snippet

found_exe() {
    hash "$1" 2>/dev/null
}

# On a Mark 1 the installation process is often running under a limited
# user named 'mycroft'.  So avoid apt-get for installing packages.

# polkit uses pkcon instead of apt-get; pkcon will then run apt-get
if found_exe pkcon; then
  pkcon package
fi

we need a template for requirements,sh, here is the version i have been using

Yea, i saw but this will break in multiple cases, I added a new template that is more comprehensive, but is still missing some distros

I just tried this on a mark1, 18.08r9. Same error. Is this a problem that has been solved, but requires changes to requirements.sh? Or is this still an unsolved problem?

I think this could be a really great skill, and help demonstrate one the key differences between Mycroft and the competition (i.e., intent fulfillment from the device itself is possible, even normal/default case).

I tried to replicate this too;

(mycroft-core) pi@mark_1:~ $ sudo msm install https://github.com/Nhoya/nmap-skill
WARNING - No such default skill: plasma-user-control-skill
INFO - Downloading skill: https://github.com/Nhoya/nmap-skill
Resolving                     [=========================]         
Installing                    [=========================]         
Loading cache                 [=========================]         
Finished                      [=========================]         
Fatal error: The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  nmap: Depends: liblinear1 (>= 1.6) but it is not going to be installed
        Recommends: ndiff but it is not going to be installed

liblinear1: Depends: libblas3 but it is not going to be installed or
                       libblas.so.3

libblas3: Depends: libgfortran3 (>= 4.3) but it is not going to be installed

ERROR - Requirements.sh failed with error code: 7
SystemRequirementsException: 7

Yes, I think this Skill needs some changes to requirements.sh - unfortunately I don’t have time to dig into this at the moment.