Mycroft Community Forum

Setting up Picroft with Adafruit Voice Bonnet

Hello,
I am super new at this. I have never done anything with Raspberry Pi until this project. I am have gotten to connect to the internet but haven’t gotten pass that because I can’t figure out how to get a sound output or the voice to work. I have tried the modification from the Picroft documentation site but nothing works. Am I supposed to proceed through the set up completely then change the voice interface? What am I missing? Please help.

FWIW, I tried to get Picroft running with that bonnet but failed. I describe it briefly in Picroft - Headphones - No Output Sound - #13 by mcdonc

I read that and just don’t really understand how to do the set up with it.

Well, as I mentioned, even though I was able to get it to output sound, it really didn’t work very well at all. But basically I had to configure it so that it used PulseAudio. To be honest, I’m not even sure I can recall the steps. But that would be the place to start searching on the forum. In reality, however, you might want to use a different mic/speaker combination.

Hey Sin, have you been through Adafruits setup guide already?

I noticed they have a page dedicated to audio setup for this device which includes the necessary drivers:

Yeah i install the drivers and it still didn’t work. I think i am just going to switch to a different combination. This is for a school project and I only have to much time to mess with it.

1 Like

I think that’s wise. FWIW, the best experience I had was with the AIY voice hat v1. It’s no longer made, but it may be available on EBay and so on. If you don’t care about looks, I’ve also had pretty good luck with logitech usb speakphones.

Have you tried the AIY Voice ‘bonnet’ v2? I was wondering if you have a comparison between that and the V1 hat.

I haven’t messed around with this.

I am currently looking into support for that 2mic hat.

As soon as i have it working, i will report back.