As mentioned in the title, this is yet another one Sonos controller skill…
Here is a list of the existing ones that I found:
- Sonos controller skill - testing and feedback
- Testing and Feedback - Sonos Music Controller Skill
- Testing and Feedback - Sonos Spotify Mycroft skill
- GitHub - fortwally/sonos-control-skill: To control Sonos steakers from mycroft
Mine is not better than the previous links, as I mentioned here, there are skills for everybody requirements.
I tried to mimic what the Amazon Alexa Sonos skill does (which is the one I’m using at home, until my Mycroft setup is done ) and added few things that were missing from this one (based on the experience at home).
So far I’ve been able to play different music at the same time on different speakers from Spotify, Deezer and local music library (using a shared storage for the last one).
I tried to make the skill simple as possible with less configuration as possible for the music service authentication (I build an URL shortener especially for this occasion) and the skill in general.
- The skill auto-discover the Sonos speakers which means there is no need to configure a default one on home.mycroft.ai and you could ask Mycroft to give you the name of your speaker.
- There is no need of additional services such as Node.js
- By default the skill will work with local library (if properly enabled in Sonos application)
It has been quite a journey to write this skill, my previous one was a pretty simple one (Raspberry Pi and GPIO LED ). This one let me discovered the joys of Mycroft skills development!
The skill has been tested on different devices (all up-to-date from a firmware perspective):
- Play:1 (2X)
The whole is connected to my home Wi-Fi network using the Sonos Boost.
I’m looking for people with Sonos hardware (same and/or different) to test this skill, of course everything works for me but we know that it’s always a different story when people try to use your skill.