Wake words for multiple devices

Greetings. I found out about Mycroft earlier today and am stoked about it. Since I’m a big fan of Linux, but dubious about “smart” devices from Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook, etc, this seems like a great project for me to sink my teeth into.

I’ve got a few questions, though. I have a laptop, a home office PC, and a media center PC. Would it be better to set a different wake word for each device, or set the same wake word for all devices? I guess I’m asking whether to treat each device as it’s own entity, or act as if they are parts of a greater whole (i.e. HAL, JARVIS, etc)?

Any thoughts?

Hi there @lafnlab,

Wake Word is a per-account setting, rather tha a per-device setting, so if each of your devices was under the same account you would only be able to set them to the same Wake Word through home.mycroft.ai.

From a voice user interface perspective, a single Wake Word that you’re used to tends to work best.

Interesting use case actually!

Kind regards,
Kathy

I can see where a single wake word would be easier from the voice user perspective, but it would be something that would be nice to have configurable as well. There’s a device configuration for each Mycroft instance on the portal. It would be nice to have a list of “default” settings where all devices would default to wake words “Hey Mycroft” and all devices would have blue eyes. There could be a configuration section available for changing defaults, but also have the capability of not using those defaults on individual units. I would love to have two Mycroft Mark I units sitting right next to each other and have a different voice, different eye color, and different wake words. Maybe that’s just me being nerdy, but it sounds like so much fun.

While it’s not user friendly, you can change the wake word per device logging into the device via ssh and inserting the following json into /home/mycroft/.mycroft/mycroft.conf:

{
  "listener": {
    "threshold": 1e-90,
    "phonemes": "HH EY . M AY K R AO F F",
    "wake_word": "hey mycroft"
  },
  "tts": {
    "module": "mimic",
    "mimic": {
      "voice": "ap"
    }
}

You can also change the eye color per device via voice (hey mycroft, set the eye color to {color}).