Help with picking the right components appreciated

Want to clue us in with some lines of log? :wink:

Maybe i shouldn’t have used the word “every”. Didn’t know you wanna throw mycroft pool parties :clown_face:

I don’t blame you, since it’s a JBL thing. It has worked before so I should be able to get it working again. I can always hook up another speaker, without these issues, later.

Do you want those logs with or without having run fix.sh?

with “fix” applied … (should work on my wording :grin: )

I’m really going crazy now. It seems Mycroft is working again :crazy_face: But if you’re still interested:

sources: https://pastebin.com/JbNRFQ8r
sinks: https://pastebin.com/9AajjT5B

audio.log: https://pastebin.com/QUptDj0b
skills.log: https://pastebin.com/MPpJLaqC
voice.log: https://pastebin.com/MMmc5vfQ

That’s it for today. Let’s wait and see if Mycroft still works tomorrow.

1 Like

I read that as biletooth at first and thought “Well, he’s not wrong…”

1 Like

Can you give me some explanation of the available firmware variations? I assume 48k is the sample rate and improves the quality as opposed to 16k. But how about those channels. What are they? The ReSpeaker has 4 mics, so why either 1 or 6? And how about that gain? I tried to read an explanation but it goes way over my head.

Yes it did. After turning on the JBL and waking up Mycroft, everything seemed fine. So I rebooted and still everything seemed fine.

Because Spotify is not supported anymore :frowning: I tried to install Pandora. First with a voice command, but that did not work. Then with msm, which did work. So I tried to create a Pandora account, only to find out it is not available in Europe?! So I uninstalled it immediately.

Then I installed the Finished Booting skill and rebooted again. No more sound :cry: Rebooted again and made sure my JBL is turned on before booting Mycroft. Still no sound :sob:

I’m getting a bit annoyed now :unamused:

I did this after all and at first it seemed to have done the trick. Mycroft produced audio responses again. So I rebooted. No sound. So I rebooted again. I have sound again.

Could it be that #@!*& JBL GO2 speaker? If I can not trust the hardware, how can I trust the software. Let’s try to find a reliable, dumb speaker. Any suggestions?

If there’s something to process, Pulse asks the hardware component what sample rate it is capable of and then resamples no matter what.

There is a good chart on their site explaining channels shortly. I read this as check and a way to self process and alter that raw data, yet with tuning.py we have a good tool to tweak the parameter from the processed data of channel0.

But to use the tuning.py you have to make this change

For this sequence it would be beneficial to sperate what the logs, sinks and sink-inputs show.

The blacklist of bcm was the first measure to rule out that pulse jumps through sinks*, yet the consolidated

load-module module-combine-sink sink_name=MycroftOS_ALL
set-default-sink MycroftOS_ALL

will ensure that the output sent to all.
*I have a bit of more complicated task to solve. I play Playstation Now (PC) - or stream other PC stuff - over moonlight controlled by mycroft (the PS4 controller is a soundcard in itself). So to not output mycroft related stuff on HDMI i have to blacklist bcm. So if you don’t have such special case or don’t want to use TV and speaker seperately you’re golden with that.

I wouldn’t be so quick. There’s not much magic happening inside to produce such variability.

So what do you suggest? Two sets of files: 1 when it works and 1 when it doesn’t?
And what doe you expect when you say “sinks and sink-inputs”?

Maybe you are right. But that auto power off is extremely annoying, no matter what. And I haven’t been able to find a solution. So I want a speaker that stays on all the time. Suggestions?

OK, after reading the jbl specs/features (3(!) Watt speaker, bluetooth app) i would recommend to send it back, use it otherwise or get some driver stack (bluez) and bluetooth manager going.

Have you hooked up the jbl to a PC playing some music that you can determine if the power on functions reliably with 3.5?

No I haven’t. But after powering on, it stays on for about 10 minutes without activity.

Too complacent to send it back :stuck_out_tongue: Definitely not going to try to get Bluetooth going (yet). I first want to have a stable and reliable situation. So it will either be used otherwise or start collecting dust.

In the mean time I have been looking around for a sensible replacement. But with my total lack of knowledge and experience in these areas, it’s difficult. And I don’t want to make a similar mistake again.

But it powers on if current flowing in reliably, that’s what should be tested.

Not exactly sure what you mean, but with “powering on” I mean manually. It does not power on when I activate Mycroft.

You must be kidding, this is so unuseable (and badly designed btw) it’s not even funny.

In one room i hooked up some in wall car loud speaker, in another some stand alone loud speaker both spec’ed way over the pi output capability (which is unamped). Both are additionally fed by other (amped) sources. With that i’m fine with volume level set to 10 (default is 7 btw)

You want the loud speaker as bare as possible to not have to work around some propriatary mechanisms. (and with that you are able to grade them up with say bluetooth easily)

You can see this with your example. they want to push you in their app territory (where they can gather data). The same (privacy-wise) with Sonos et al. but with API (there is a skill around).

Exactly why I’m now searching for a suitable, dumb speaker :slightly_smiling_face:

So could this be something: https://www.visaton.de/en/products/fullrange-systems/frs-8-4-ohm?

Once again no sound after reboot. Two times in a row. This time I asked Mycroft for the volume level. It was set to zero?! How weird is that? Any idea what might intrefere with the volume persistence?