[Music] Spotify

Skill name: mycroft-spotify

User story:

• As a music lover, I want to be able to play my Spotify songs, playlists artists using voice commands so I can enjoy music wherever my Mycroft Device is.
  • As a music lover, I want to be able to search for songs on Spotify by various attributes so I can find music during other activities such as reading.
  • As a music lover, I want to be able to go to sleep using Spotify by playing music for a length of time, and then that music fades out, so I get a good night’s sleep.

What third party services, data sets or platforms will the Skill interact with?

Are there similar Mycroft Skills already?

What will the user Speak to trigger the Skill?

• Play {{playlist_name}}
  • Play {{genre}}
  • Play {{artist}}
  • Play for {{number_of_minutes}} then go to sleep
  • Search for {{playlist_name}} | {{track_name}} | {{album_name}}
  • Next track | Next song
  • Previous track | Previous song
  • What’s playing?

What phrases will Mycroft Speak?

• Now playing {{playlist_name}}
  • Now playing {{genre}}
  • Now playing {{artist}}
  • Now playing for {{number_of_minutes}}
  • I found {{search_term}} in {{num_artists}} | {{num_tracks}} | {{num_albums}}. Should I list them?
  • I’m sorry, I couldn’t find any music matching {{search_term}}
  • Playing next track | song
  • Playing previous track | song
  • The current track | song is {{track}}

What Skill Settings will this Skill need to store?

See https://mycroft.ai/documentation/skills/skill-settings/ for more information

• OAuth information for the user’s Spotify account
  • last played tracks so the user can do things like ‘play that last song again’

Other comments?

Put any other comments you think are relevant in here

Also similar: https://github.com/forslund/spotify-skill

2 Likes

I think it would be appreciated to have options for “Next Track” or “Next Song”, as well as “Previous Track” or “Previous Song”. There are songs that I love, but they have to match my state of mind, and my state of mind may not be the same when I’m playing a playlist as it was when I created the playlist. Oh, and let’s not forget Pause and/or Stop.

It also might be cool to be able to ask for information about what’s playing. You probably already know the band name and the song title (scrolling this on the screen of the Mark I/II would be awesome btw), but you may not know other details, like album name and the year it was published. That kind of thing.

1 Like

theres is the internet radio skill and youtube skill also

my youtube skill works cool, usually plays what i want it to, and supports next track and previous track

What song is currently playing is really good to have. For example when running discover weekly or other generated playlist (or playlist from friends).

@forslund @linuxrants @Jarbas_Ai thank you so much for your suggestions, I have updated the Skill Specification to reflect them :+1:

@Jarbas_Ai, I thought I would give your youtube music skill a try (picroft 18.02) and I am having an issue where there is no music playing. The intent is properly triggered and there does not appear to be any errors, a youtube url is found for the music I request but It just does not play. I have confirmed that VLC (CVLC) is installed and working. Any troubleshooting tips to get it going?
Thanks.

it stopped working at some point, im not sure why

either youtube changed something or there needs to be more steps for the vlc install…

Yes, you are right said.
Spotify stopped working at some point.
Youtube changed any blob url or what else?

@forslund is Spotify OK now?

Spotify should be ok, it’s been reactivated so should be usable again.

1 Like

I use MPD on the server with Cantata on the client. Would be fantastic if this skill could work with one/both of these.

1 Like

Sorry, but is a premium account necessary to use the spotify skill? I have a free one, is it possible to configure with it?

Hi @Patata unfortunately you must have a Premium Spotify Skill in order to use the Mycroft Spotify Skill. This is a limitation of the Spotify API - we can only access it if the user has a Premium account.

Ok, I undertand. Is there any other streaming music service that allows to develop a skill?

Bandcamp and soundcloud are services I’d like to see getting a skill.

1 Like
3 Likes

Great work as usual @Jarbas_Ai, unfortunately this isn’t submitted to the mycroft-skills repo, so it won’t be available for voice installation.

none of my skills are…

im going to make a tool to auto handle skill submission, then ill get all my skills there

hopefully ill find the time for auto tests and py3 migration

1 Like

Excuse @KathyReid, but is there any reason for this?
Could you validate and verify the skills developed by Jarbas and include them in the mycroft-skills repo? Or this is not possible?